Thursday, December 29, 2005

Take my RSS feed, please

This blog is a work in progress, and since it started in October, we’ve seen a steady increase in the number of people checking it out. Most days lately, it averages about 50 viewers. Small, but so were the first electronic versions of Age Beat Online, which soon grew so big I had to divide the e-mail list in two because my Internet Service Provider thought I was a spammer.

One way to save time is to subscribe to the blog as an RSS feed. If you don’t know what those are, you probably have seen the letters in small boxes on more and more web sites. Essentially, it is a way for you to get notice whenever a web page is updated. You need an RSS reader – most are free; I use Bloglines, since it is Internet based and I can use it anyway.

If all of this is confusing, check out this column from Jonathan Dube of Cyberjournalist.net. It’s a great primer on RSS feeds. (I get feeds from news sites, Romenesko, Medicare, the Census and more.) Once you read this, you can find this blog’s RSS feeds by clicking either the link that says "My Atom Feed" or the box that says Feedburner on the right side of the page. (I’d suggest Feedburner, because it will link to a page where you can pick the right feed for whatever RSS reader you use.)

Questions? Please ask me.

No comments: